Monday, January 01, 2007

 

Finally...a Convincing Performance!

Let me start off by noting that although I am a Liverpool fan, I can't say I completely agree with Rafa Benitez's pre-game comments about Bolton. I think I'm in the minority, but I am firmly believe that there's nothing wrong with Bolton's physical and direct approach. Football, especially in England, is meant to be played as a contact sport. As a result, it's meant to be physical. There is no set rule on how the game has to be played...and if a team wants to approach the game by pushing the limits of the game's rules, so be it. It works for Bolton, and full credit to them - their style routinely make life difficult for Premiership sides of all abilities. They're getting good results and are playing some very effective football. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. That said, a good friend of mine pointed this out: teams only have trouble with Bolton (for instance Arsenal) if they don't have a centerback who is dominant in the air and can win the majority of headers. I completely concur - it seems the best way to neutralize Bolton.
Today's performance could go some way to supporting that thesis as I felt Sami Hyypia was dominant in the air, winning almost every header thrown at the defense. An inspired tactical move...along with the introduction of Peter Crouch up front. There were a number of good performances throughout the pitch, and I was generally pleased especially since we had played merely 2 days ago (but then again, so did Bolton). Maybe Bolton was seeking to merely try to neutralize us in midfield and soak up the pressure...but they lacked initiative going forward, and I don't think they forced a save out of Pepe Reina. In particular, El Hadji Diouf was silenced on his return to Anfield...and Nicolas Anelka was consistently starved of service. Must have been frustrating to be a Bolton man today...although Jussi Jääskeläinen made some top class saves to prevent the scoreline from flattering Liverpool more. At the moment, he has to be in the running for top goalkeeper of the season in England.
The first 2 goals today were simply class, and I felt Kuyt's goal was just reward for his all-action display and consistent workrate. Here are my player ratings:

Pepe Reina - 6.5 - not much to do really, a spectator for most of the game
Steve Finnan - 7.5 - another solid display, especially since he had a hand in the first 2 goals...and almost scored one in the 1st half
Jamie Carragher - 7 - another commendable and solid display at the back
Sami Hyypia - 8 - like a rock in the middle of the defense. Great performance, especially winning headers.
John Arne Riise - 6.5 - solid game, but when are we going to see a shot on target, let alone a goal?
Jermaine Pennant - 7 - for once, I have very little to complain about. Involved in the 2 opening goals. That said, I would still like to see Pennant exhibit better decision-making skills...and maintain his concentration throughout the game. I remember one instance after a corner kick...Pepe Reina had just caught the ball and wanted to throw the ball quickly to Pennant to initiate a counterattack. Reina was furious, however, because Pennant had turned into a spectator instead of running for the Bolton half and creating an outlet for a counterattack.
Steven Gerrard - 8 - great display in midfield, volleyed goal was class
Xabi Alonso - 7 - another good performance, especially in terms of intercepting balls in midfield
Mark Gonzalez - 5 - provided some width early, but faded - disappointing?
Peter Crouch - 7.5 - a menace, could've had a brace...his bicycle kick was class
Dirk Kuyt - 8 - great workrate, great finish
Luis Garcia - 7 - slotted in well and provided a nice pass for Kuyt's goal
Fabio Aurelio - 6 - little time to do much
Robbie Fowler - 6 - got a few touches in his limited time, but didn't really lead to much

Final verdict: the 2nd half was arguably Liverpool's best 45 minutes of the season. Defense was leakproof, and the attack looked menacing.

On the fantasy Premiership front, I'm locked in a tight fantasy cup matchup...right now, I'm down to my opponent by 11 points. My opponent has Arsenal's Gilberto and Van Persie left to go, while I still have Van Persie, Fabregas, and Lampard to go, especially with Lampard as my captain. What am I hoping for? Obviously, no ground to lose or gain with Van Persie. Hopefully, Gilberto won't score tomorrow, Fabregas will get an assist or 2, and Lampard will get me some points (but not too many, I'd love to see Chelsea lose!). It's going to be a close finish in this cup tie, keep your fingers crossed for me...

Comments:
I don't think the 'physical' game is cheating, just not very attractive. In such cases, the likes of Hyypia and (had he been fit) Sissoko would be obvious choices for the team. Having said that though, I was worried Sami would get exposed by the pace of Anelka and Diouf - these days Bolton can do more than just play long balls...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?