Friday, December 29, 2006

 

EPL Fantasy Tips and Predictions - Gameweek 21



The 3rd of 4 games in the Festive period is upon us, and with it comes the debut of my fantasy tips. I'm a regular participant in Premierleague.com's official Fantasy game (it's free!), and I've gotten some decent scores of late... so here goes my attempt to offer tips:



Charlton Athletic v. Aston Villa - I think we'll see a scoring draw of 1-1 or 2-2. With Chris Sutton sidelined, I think Martin O'Neill will start Milan Baros, Juan Pablo Angel, and the ever-present Gabriel Agbonlahor in attack. If cost is a factor, go with Agbonlahor - he seems to be a catalyst for a lot of Aston Villa's more successful attacking moves.

Blackburn Rovers v. Middlesbrough - a battle of 2 inconsistent sides...will the Blackburn side that's taken 4 of 6 from Liverpool show up? Which Middlesbrough side will show up - the side that's taken points off Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool...or the side that looked bereft of ideas at Sheffield United and Watford? I'm tipping a win for Blackburn at home - Benni McCarthy should be a good fantasy pick this week, as I also feel selecting a Blackburn defender could be a wise gamble.

Bolton Wanderers v. Portsmouth - Portsmouth are decimated by injuries up front, and I don't think their defenders will continue their impressive scoring feat against Bolton. Bolton seem to be finding form - in particular, Nicolas Anelka has been finding the net of late. I'm going to tip Kevin Nolan to get points - though he has only 1 goal this season (scored at Portsmouth in a 1-0 victory), I think he will add to his meager tally against Portsmouth. Looks like a Bolton win.

Chelsea v. Fulham - Fulham are ravaged by the injury bug, and despite Chelsea's own injuries problem, I don't think Chelsea will drop points against Fulham. Chelsea have an impressive record at home in London derbies, and Frank Lampard has 6 goals in 6 games against their West London neighbors. Chelsea to win with Lampard racking up at least 5 fantasy points.

Everton v. Newcastle - this one's got draw written all over it. Newcastle has fought through a lengthy injury list to climb away from the relegation scrap, and I think they will put on a brave display at Goodison Park. In my opinion, Everton desperately need Tim Cahill to return soon - they are different, and more potent, attacking proposition with Cahill in the lineup. I think Mikel Arteta will be influential in this game - if Everton are to score, the attacking move will probably involve him.

Manchester United v. Reading - I was impressed by Reading's spirited display against Chelsea, but I think going to Old Trafford is completely different proposition. I think this one is always going to be 3 points to the Premiership leaders - too much quality on the pitch. It's obvious who everyone should look to for fantasy points - Cristiano Ronaldo. Maybe an early candidate for FIFA Player of the Year for 2007?

Tottenham Hotspur v. Liverpool - sorry fellow Reds fans, I just can't see us taking 3 points from White Hart Lane. I think this one will end as a draw. I hope Rafa reverts back to using Bellamy-Kuyt in attack for this game - if so, I'm tipping Craig Bellamy to get fantasy points. Tough game to predict fantasy points though, so stay away from this game if possible.

Watford v. Wigan - injuries have taken their toll on both sides, and I think this game is an early relegation 6-pointer. In particular, I think Watford need all three points from this game - otherwise, they could end up being cast further adrift of safety. I'd like to tip Watford to win, but I just can't see where they will get more than 1 goal from. Looks like a 1-1 draw. If Watford are to have success, it will be via Ashley Young and his ability to pop up on either wing and create trouble.

West Ham v. Manchester City - looks like another ugly relegation 6-pointer bereft of quality. West Ham are without captain Nigel Reo-Coker, while Man City are missing energetic midfielder Joey Barton. I think West Ham will win in a scrappy one because of both the new manager effect and Man City's inability to score goals away from Eastlands. I think you'd be safe picking a West Ham defender for this game, and if you're looking for a gamble, try Yossi Benayoun.

Sheffield United v. Arsenal - massive injury woes for both Sheffield United and Arsenal. I think The Blades' physical approach will give Arsenal a bit of trouble, but I think the Gunners will weather the storm and leave with all 3 points. A potential carbon-copy of the game at Watford on Boxing Day? I think so. I think Fabregas will have an influential game for an Arsenal side struggling with injury, and Kolo Toure will need to be a rock at the back for Arsenal. A 2-1 or 3-2 victory for Arsenal.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?