Tuesday, December 26, 2006

 

2 Straight Unconvincing Games (Home to Watford and Away to Blackburn)



Another frustrating away performance. Why is it that we seem to struggle for fluidity and luck against the so-called 'more physical' sides of the Premiership? Today, against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park, I could not help but feel that the game was reminiscent to previous away defeats at Stamford Bridge and The Reebok: we were not outplayed, created more opportunities, but still found a way to lose.
Prior to today, Saturday's 2-0 home win against a plucky Watford side seemed a hard-fought win. Watford were very physical and direct, and with a bit of improved finishing, could've nicked a goal or 2 at Anfield. However, finishing seems to be what separates teams, especially at the bottom of the table: Watford's pluckiness and committed displays seem to be headed for naught as they lack the cutting edge in the final 1/3 of the pitch. Watching the game, I felt anxious with the one-goal lead that Liverpool maintained for most of the 2nd half. It seemed that we were 1 unlucky moment away from Watford snatching a shock equalizer. Luckily, Xabi Alonso hit the imminent and important 2nd goal to seal the game, a goal Liverpool had been desperately searching for. A good win, but Watford made us work for it.
Before I reflect on what went wrong in the performance v. Blackburn, I was able to pick out a few positives that I hope Rafa and the coaching staff can build on. As Rafa switched to deploying three center-backs at the back today, I felt that each of them acquitted themselves well. This was especially true of Jamie Carragher. Although he's a defender, I'm willing to argue that the local lad has found himself a rich vein of form and has consistently put in some commendable displays at the back over the last three or four Premiership games.
Ever since Rafa began using three center-backs, I've noted that the fullbacks seem to thrive in a wing-back position, and I think this is especially true of Steve Finnan. Against Blackburn today, Finnan got forward really well and whipped in a few delightful crosses. Too bad none of them were converted for goals.
On his return to his former club, I thought Craig Bellamy's efforts showed his determination and desire to hit one past his former employers. He created havoc for the Blackburn rearguard, and had a couple of decent chances to score. He also used his pace and workrate to good effect, showing that he has truly refound form after the completion of his trial in Cardiff.
Now for the bad. Our fluidity and finishing were not there today. While I thought Blackburn's midfield was combative and pesky, I thought that Liverpool could've played less direct and tried to impose their will on the game. It was never going to be easy as I've no doubts that Mark Hughes gave his players a lashing after the 6-2 drubbing at Arsenal 3 days ago. With our quality on the pitch, however, I thought Liverpool could've done better, especially in terms of getting a foothold on the midfield.
Peter Crouch's finishing was sub-par today, but I think he just needs a bit of luck, a consistent run in the side, and another opportunity. Ordinarily, I think the chances that were presented to Crouchie today would've been converted into goals. With an inspired Brad Friedel in goal and some sub-par finishing, it wasn't to be. Still, I expect Crouchie to be back among the goals next time around.
Mark Gonzalez, along with Jermaine Pennant, have still yet to convince me that they were worth their transfer fees. I'm still willing to hold out on judging them as I truly believe that players need almost a year to fully adjust to the pace of the Premiership and/or the rigors of playing for an elite club; still, I cannot recall a performance from either winger that has made me sit up and take notice. I'd like to see both players get back to basics: good first touches, beating defenders with their pace, and whipping in crosses that the forwards can pounce on. I'd also like to see Pennant assert himself more and imitate the workrate of Kuyt and Bellamy.
Here are my ratings for today's game:
Pepe Reina - 6.5 - not at fault for today's goal
Steve Finnan - 7 - seems to do his best work in a wing-back role
Jamie Carragher - 7.5 - another strong showing by #23
Sami Hyypia - 6 - consistent and one crucial challenge late on
Daniel Agger - 6 - consistent as well, though some of his passes were wayward
John Arne Riise - 6 - where are his shooting boots?
Steven Gerrard - 6 - a subpar day, especially by his standards
Xabi Alonso - 6.5 - a couple of rasping drives, unlucky not to score with either
Mark Gonzalez - 5 - aside from backtracking and making a nice tackle on Brett Emerton, didn't show much
Craig Bellamy - 7 - pace and workrate were pleasing to see, unlucky not to score
Peter Crouch - 6 - decent hold-up play, sub-par finishing
Subs:
Dirk Kuyt - 6 - combative display and persistent workrate
Fabio Aurelio - 5 - didn't show much
Luis Garcia - 5 - didn't really show much in his 13 minutes

Comments:
I wasn't really sure what formation we were playing; I thought it might be 5-3-2 with wingbacks - a position that I agree suits Riise and Finnan - but then it seemed strange including Gonzalez.

Oh, and why shouldn't a defender hit a rich vein of form?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?